Wednesday, May 5, 2010

LATE WITH MY WEDNESDAY BLOG

But it is still Wednesday, so here goes. Been busy counting people. Enumerator job is tougher than I thought. I thought all government jobs were supposed to be easy. This one is not easy. It is difficult to find addresses. It is difficult to find people at home. It is difficult to fill out a form while standing on someone's porch. It is difficult to convince some people to answer questions from the government. Other than those difficulties, I am finding it to be an interesting job. I am surprised and saddened to find so many poor people living around my area. The homes out in the back country are very basic and in poor condition. I am finding that many people in Michigan are either not educated or poorly educated. I think this came about because of the auto industry. It used to be easy to get a well paid job without much education. That is no longer true so we have a bunch of unemployed people with minimum education. Consequently, the recession has hit Michigan harder than any other State. When you are poor and undereducated, you could care less about the census. More than half of the people in my area did not mail in their census form. The non-response people are the ones I am calling on. I still have a large amount of work to do.


I took this afternoon off to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Lots of tacos and Mexican beer. Now, more than ever, I realize how lucky I am. I am celebrating that, as well.

1 comment:

  1. I admire you for doing this necessary job and thank you for sharing your discoveries. I'll bet these folks also don't want to listen to all the very good reasons why they might well benefit from being counted. It's a shame. It's also a condemnation of how little parents value a good education for their children. Bread and circuses. Tsar Pat

    ReplyDelete