Wednesday, May 26, 2010

HOLLYWOOD'S MOST FILMED LEGEND AND MEAD

Initially, I refused to go see the latest remake of the Robin Hood story. After all, I had seen all the many previous films about this hero. What else was there to know? Then, I read that this version was more of a "prequel" and was done in a historically correct manner. So, being a fan of historical novels, I went to see this movie. I found it to be entertaining and a terrific movie. It told the story of what happened before Robin Hood became an outlaw.

It portrayed how Robin and his men became "merry" by drinking the most popular beverage of the 12th century. If you wanted an alcoholic beverage, you ordered a glass of mead. This got me off on a tangent wondering how long it had been around and how was it made? Well, it is the first alcoholic beverage to be discovered by man and it is made by combining honey, water, and yeast. Wine has been around for 6000 years but mead was being made 30,000 years ago! Then, I got to wondering why it is not a popular drink, today. It taste good, is easy to make and has 13% alcohol which makes one feel merry. I decided it is a long lost treasure that needs to be rediscovered. I am starting a business called, "Get Merry With Harry On Mead". It is the only beverage that you will ever need!

1 comment:

  1. Used to be able to get mead in the Canadian PX over by Strasbourg, France. They had a lot of British Empire things. Very good indeed. Think I might still have some around here.
    It was always a nice trip and we'd take in the French PX in Baden Baden also and get great French wines dirt cheap.
    Ah, the Cold War was so brutal I wish it had never ended.
    Tsar Pat
    PS: The remake of Robin Hood has been vigorously panned by the critics. Must be good.

    ReplyDelete