Tuesday, October 15, 2013

CHAPTER SIXTEEN OF HAIRY RISK TAKER

Hairy brought in a box of fine cigars and a case of premium whiskey. Then, he sat down on the bear rug and said, “I hope we can smoke cigars as if they are a peace pipe and drink whiskey until we reach an amicable agreement.” Chief Ololiuhqui said, “Well, I have some reservations.” As he poured two glasses of whiskey, and handed one plus a cigar to the chief, Hairy said, “I am not surprised that you have reservations. Tell me about them”. The Chief said, “This is the white man’s holiday, Columbus Day. Indians hate this holiday! Columbus brought Europeans with diseases that decimated the natives. Then, the Europeans conquered the weakened natives and stole their land. Indians consider Columbus to be more evil than Hitler. The people who followed the explorer to America are guilty of something worse than the Nazi Holocaust.”

 

Hairy said, “I apologize for picking a bad day to negotiate with you. I didn’t realize that this is Columbus Day. Let’s just sip this good whiskey and become friends. When the ‘holiday’ is over, I will make my proposal for your consideration.” The Chief said, “The white man has broken his promises to the Indians so many times, it is difficult for me to trust you; but I will listen to what you have to say. Google says that you are an honest and trustworthy man. I understand that you are a world class tap dancer. Tomorrow, when the whiskey is gone, I will teach you the Cahuilla Indian War Dance. Hairy said, “Hey, that sounds great! By the way, I have a difficult time pronouncing Ololiuhqui. May I use your first name? “Yes, no problem. It is Chavatangakwunua. You may call me Chavat”, replied the Chief.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment