Monday, October 21, 2013

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN, HAIRY RISK TAKER



Hairy took the Chief's demands back to the Governor for his consideration. The Governor said, “Let’s see if I understand all the demands of that crazy Indian: He wants me to ratify an 1852 treaty granting the Cahuilla control of their lands. He wants the state of California to pay reparation to all the California Indians because they were denied their right to vote from 1924 until 1953. He wants me to declare a holiday honoring Chief Sitting Bull. And if I refuse his demands, he will blow up a mountain, causing an earthquake which will dump Los Angeles into the Pacific Ocean. Does that about cover it?” Hairy said, “Yes, you’ve got it.” The Governor said, “I don’t have the authority to do all of that. I thought he just wanted the old treaty ratified. I think I can do that.”

Hairy said, “Here’s my suggestion. You tell the Chief that you will give free health care to all the Indians and it will be guaranteed by President Obama. This is a huge gift that more than makes up for the temporary loss of voting rights and the double cross on the old treaty. Then, you declare a bull shit Holiday declaring Sitting Bull a hero to all the Indian Nations.” The Governor exclaimed, “My God, Hairy, that is absolutely brilliant! Do you think the Chief will be satisfied with that offer?” Hairy said, “I think so, especially if I go back with more whiskey and cigars to make your offer.”
To be continued…

“I do not wish to be shut up in a corral. All reservation Indians I have seen are worthless. They are neither red warriors nor white farmers. They are neither wolf nor dog."_ Chief Sitting Bull


                                                           Tatanka Iyotake (Chief Sitting Bull), Hunkpapa Sioux
                                                                       CHIEF SITTING BULL

No comments:

Post a Comment