Tuesday, April 10, 2012

MILLIONS OF ANCESTORS PRECEDED YOU

Theoretically, everyone has two ancestors in the previous generation, four in the generation before that, eight in the generation before that, and in 24 generations you have 33,554,432. Going back 30 generations (about 1000 years) you would have a billion ancestors. That is a surprising number of relatives! I find it very interesting that we are related to almost everybody. It is likely that you share many ancestors with me. So, I guess we have a lot in common.

Some of my ancestors from Europe had names that gradually changed from Deats, Teits, Teetz, Teats, to Teets. They were merchants, shop keepers, farmers, teamsters, sailors, thieves, preachers, teachers, doctors, and lawyers. I always wanted a pirate ancestor but I can't find any record of one. On the paternal side, my great, great grandfather was Nelson Teets, my great grandfather was George Nelson Teets, my grand father was Thomas Teets, and my father was Voyle Coclough Teets, which is a very unique name. In the history of the world, no one else has had that name.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Freelance:
    We may be related, but the Tsar still will not add you to his will.
    The Tsar, being of royalty, springs from a family that allowed no thieves, pirates or lawyers (but then the Tsar repeats himself).
    The Tsar and Tsarina both have relatives who arrived on the Mayflower. 500 years later, they moved away in a Mayflower truck.
    The Tsar also traces his lineage back to the last great civilization of the world, which archeologists now refer to as "The 1950's."
    TsarPat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poignant comment reminds me of the time when Tsar Nicholas The Second whispered "Forgive me" in the ear of Pyotr Stolypin as he lay on his death bed after being shot and screaming, 'I am happy to die for the Tsar'!

    TsaPat comes from a long line of pains in the royal ass. I greatly appreciate his comments.
    htt

    ReplyDelete