Wednesday, December 14, 2011

BETTER THINKING THROUGH CHEMISTRY?

Brain chemistry or neurochemistry is the complex system which allows the brain to function with the use of chemicals known as neurotransmitters which move information around in the brain. Every person's brain chemistry is slightly different, and a number of factors can play a role in the levels of various neurotransmitters in the brain, and how those chemicals affect the brains function. Scientist believe that variations in brain chemistry may explain a variety of behavioral differences, such as political and religious beliefs. Environment and genetics can influence the levels of neurotransmitters and their receptors in the brain. Using functional magnetic resonance color coded imaging, scientist are seeking to determine if there is a God spot and a political philosophy spot in the brain. They are on the verge of being able to determine if a person believes in the existence of God and if a person is politically conservative or liberal, just by the color of their brain images. At the recent Society For Neuroscience Conference in Washington, D.C., some unprecedented 3D images of the brain were displayed. They indicated that scientist are close to accomplishing their goal!

Some interesting questions come to mind: Is God a delusion created by brain chemistry, or is brain chemistry a necessary conduit for people to reach God? Are people born to be inclined toward belief in God or toward atheism, depending on their brain chemistry? Does brain chemistry affect political beliefs? If so, this puts a whole new spin on the question, "How is your brain wired?" If chemicals in the brain determine what you think, do we really have free will? Can we adjust the chemical balance in a person's brain and change their opinions? Neuroscience is a fascinating but scary new scientific field. I will be following it closely in order to figure out how and what I think!

DISCLAIMER AND DISCLOSURE STATEMENT:
I am not a member of the Society For Neuroscience and I am not a brain surgeon. I do not guarantee that I know what I am talking about. This blog post is strictly my own uninformed opinion. I do not intend to malign any religion or political philosophy. WARNING: Do not, I repeat, do not try to use your refrigerator magnets to take magnetic resonance images of your brain. I tried it and it dose not work!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Free: I agree that it is a fascinating field of (perhaps) science, but be careful: There will be a steady flow of misinformation before the affluvia clarifies enough to put bets on anything they say. For my part I'm working on a related field of discovery: How do the various components and combinations of chemicals in beer affect the synaptic activity of the inebriated brain. I shall keep you informed.
    -TsarPat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tsar,

    Please do keep me informed! Well, you have done it again. Why do you always have to top me with a subject that is more bizarre than mine? Your brain chemicals are waaay out of balance. Maybe you should make an appointment with Freud.

    ReplyDelete