Wednesday, July 13, 2011

GET DNA FROM EVERY AMERICAN?


DNA testing is associated with crime detection but it can be used to improve the life of a person. By using the Life Map determined from their DNA, it is possible to determine various things that will benefit that person. DNA testing permits individuals to find out what diseases they are most likely to develop, which can allow them to take preventative steps and avoid the onset of the diseases. One of the most promising aspects of DNA research is the concept of so-called "personalized medicine," which would permit doctors to custom-tailor a medication to fit a person's unique genetic makeup. This could greatly reduce complications and increase the effectiveness of treatments. Every American could be required to have a DNA test, with the results stored in a national database. Of course, there would have to be protection against the use of this information by employers and insurance companies for purposes of discrimination.

A national database could be cross-checked against DNA found at crime scenes to help find persons guilty of rape and murder. It could also be used to clear innocent persons who have been wrongly accused. A DNA database with strong privacy safeguards could actually make Americans more secure against erroneous prosecutions and attacks. If one of your neighbors is secretly having sex with your horse, you could determine who it is. Or if an inebriated new mother pulls out her breast and squirts you with her breast milk, you can prosecute her. Yes, these two incidents were recently in the news. Bizarre but true! It would be easy to collect the DNA by requiring a swab of the inner cheek when applying for a driver’s license. Should we do it? What do you think? Please let me know.

5 comments:

  1. The daze of true privacy are gone forever. May they rest in peace. Going forward, we may as well get used to cameras on the street, hackers on our computers . . . and DNA testing. Yes, the bad guys will figure out how to use it against us, but the benefits (ask any innocent sitting in jail) are too good to miss.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    TsarPat

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tsar's comment surprised me. I thought he would object to the invasion of privacy. Or, another objection could be, "I don't want to know what diseases I am likely to get; especially if they are incurable".

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family doctor, an ex-Marine, and I have an agreement that when we turn 90 we're going to start smoking again.
    That's how I feel about incurable diseases: I want to know so that I can live it up for the time left to me.
    Knowledge is power. (You may quote me.)
    TsarPat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think some other famous person said "Knowledge is power". But, anyway, I like your reasoning. Thanks for your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir Francis Bacon, but he neglected to copyright it. Tsk, tsk.

    ReplyDelete