Wednesday, May 4, 2011

TOO MUCH MEMORY IS NOT A GOOD THING.

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory. I am a very happy person. I’m perfectly happy to have a memory like a sieve. It lets the waste drain away and leaves the valuable stuff behind. I can forget the unpleasant and painful memories. Friedrich Nietzsche said, “The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.”  Another advantage is that I forget my stupid mistakes and bad experiences. I can’t remember who I wanted revenge against for mistreating me.

Some memories can damage your ability to concentrate on important stuff. They can also build up personality problems like insecurities, inferiority complex, and low self esteem. These memories can slowly destroy you! In order to survive, baseball relief pitchers are advised to develop a bad memory when it comes to blown saves. Whatever happened last night, happened last night. Today’s another day; tonight’s another game…and all that. The Buddha said, The secret of health for mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.”  The mafia says, “forget about it! 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, memory is a fickle master. Mastering it is the pickle.
    The Tsar subscribes to the Bill Gates theory that memory is like a computer hard drive running Windows: Once it fills up, any newly entered data pushes out older information. FIFO (first in, first out).
    Since the memories don't fade but merely disappear someday when you're reading the Wall Street Journal, it's best to find a way to ignore the ones you hate.
    I remember all the times I beat you at chess. Did you ever beat me? I can't remember.
    In fact, who the hell are you anyway?
    TsarPat

    ReplyDelete
  2. FIFO is an accounting term, not a computer term. When a hard drive is full, you can't put any more in unless you delete something. I suggest that you delete all those false memories of beating me at chess. I do not remember ever losing a game to you. As to who I am, I am your conscience and I do not believe in hell so you are using a fictitious swear word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Conscience:
    You are, apparently, in the Stone Age technologically. I suggest you begin reading PC World so that you can keep up (I do not own stock or otherwise receive emoluments from PC World but wish I did).
    CLICK! There goes any memory of losing to you in chess.
    Now where was I....
    TsarPat

    ReplyDelete