Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A PHILOSOPHER IS A LOVER OF WISDOM

One of the joys of retirement is the ability to study subjects that I had no time for when I was busy earning a living and raising a family. My latest endeavor is to learn more about philosophy. I decided to start with the ancient philosophers and work my way up to the modern philosophers. Presently, I am up to Socrates, who was a Greek philosopher in Athens 500 years before Christ. Today, he is considered the father of political philosophy, ethics, and moral philosophy. He is also known for inventing the scientific method of inquiry using a hypothesis. Ironically, he was sentenced to death by poison for corrupting the minds of the youth of Athens. His last words before he died: “Crito, we owe a cock to Asclepius. Please, don’t forget to pay the debt.” Asclepius was the Greek god for curing illness, and it is thought that Socrates’ last words meant that death is the cure, and freedom of the soul from the body. He said a lot of weird things and his most famous quote is, “I only know that I know nothing”.

Much can be learned from the philosophers. Here is what I have learned, so far: Clear thinking is the most important requisite for right living. The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. A ham sandwich is better than nothing. Nothing is better than eternal happiness. A ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness! Logic can be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment