Wednesday, August 5, 2009

CONFESSIONS OF AN OLD CABANA BOY

This blog is dedicated to the Bally Girls: Gloria, Vicky, Wanda, Kathy, Robin, Jane, Sue, Nancy and especially to their friend and mentor, Jan. A lovely group of beautiful women to whom my good friend, Jim Purcell, and I served Pina Coladas. It was their annual meeting at the Bollin Spa. This years theme was "survivors". These girls are definitely survivors. They are smart, sophisticated, and very "today". Most of what they discussed was over my head. They talked a lot about a guy named "Johnson" who hung out at their Health Club. They seemed to hold him in high regard. He had a special attraction that is hard, to explain.

Of course, they exchanged recipes for food, love, and life. Being a part of an all female party was an education for Jim and me. I can't share everything I learned because of the Cabana Boy's oath of confidentiality. But one thing that surprised me was their vast knowledge of male sports.

A difference between men and women was emphasized. Men have only a few things to say, then, they are done talking. Woman are never done talking. These girls talked all night and half of the next day! I was amazed at how much they had to talk about. There was never a lull in the conversation. In fact, I had a difficult time getting them to be quiet long enough for me to read a poem. Once I got started, they did seem to enjoy a Poetry Reading. Like I mentioned, these are sophisticated woman. I am looking forward to being their Cabana Boy at next year's party. Oh yeah, as to why women, who drink Pina Coladas, like to walk in the rain; I haven't the foggiest!
I have been studying women for fifty years and they are still a mystery. That is part of their charm.

A BALLY GIRL POEM

Quick of Wit,
And very fit,
On my lap she likes to sit,
I like her a little bit,
A Bally Girl is really it!

No comments:

Post a Comment