Tuesday, November 22, 2011

URANTIA FOUNDATION

I am in Chicago this week to celebrate Thanksgiving. Coincidentally, the World Headquarters of the Urantia Foundation is located at 533 Diversey Parkway in Chicago. I Just recently learned of its existence and I am going to tell you about this unusual religious organization. In the 1920s, a respected Chicago psychiatrist, Dr. William S. Sadler, had a patient who would go into a deep trance and begin writing a complex, philosophical story about the origins of humans and their place in the Universe. These communications appeared to come from beings who were from another planet. Over a 19 year period, Dr. Sandler collected these hand written notes produced by this man under the influence of celestial visitors. He compiled them into a large book called, The Urantia Book.


This book became the basis for the Urantia Foundation which is not a complete religion but it explains the origin of the Universe and tells stories about the advanced beings that populate it. It includes descriptions of an interplanetary community with a complex history, philosophy and guidance from the "superhuman Planetary Government of Urantia". For believers, it is a space age update of all the world's religions. Pretty fascinating, don't you think?!



4 comments:

  1. The patient must have been Ray Bradbury. Sounds like one of his books.
    As far as religions go, the ravings of one maniac are as good as another.
    Whatever floats your ark.
    TsarPat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your broad minded tolerance. I am thankful for maniacs like you. Crazy people are what makes this a great nation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful book. I've been a Urantia Book reader since 1959 when my grandmother in Chicago sent me a First Printing. If you want to know how the Papers really came to be, the essential story is here: http://www.freeurantia.org/AHistory.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Furchizedek,
    Welcome to my blog. I appreciate your comment. I will visit your recommended web site to learn more about the history of the book. Thanks!
    htt

    ReplyDelete