Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I BET YOU DID NOT KNOW

There is a bird in Africa that helps the natives find honey. It is called the Honeyguide bird (Prodotiscus Insignis). For thousands of years, this bird has helped human beings to find hidden bee hives in hollow trees. It loves to eat the wax and larvae of the honey bee but it needs help to break into the bee collonies. A remarkable partnership has developed between these birds and the African natives. It has a unique chattering song that attracts the attention of the natives. Then, it flies ahead, making sure the native is following to the hidden bee's nest. Once the native opens the hive and takes the honey, the bird feasts on the remaining wax and larvae. This is a marvelous, symbiotic relationship between bird and man.


Next month I am going to bring some Honeyguide birds to Michigan to assist me in finding honey for my new business, "GET MERRY WITH HARRY ON MEAD". I will be prancing through the jungle with a large butterfly net capturing these birds. Please wish me luck!
Click on the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVtSYRmlirg&annotation_id=annotation_736699&feature=iv

No comments:

Post a Comment