Wednesday, November 4, 2009

THE FINAL LESSON ON THINKING

I saved the best for last. What you think and what you say to yourself is of critical importance to your success in life. Positive thinking is good but cancelling negative thoughts is more important. Negative thoughts can occur after you do a bone headed blunder such as backing out of the garage without putting the garage door up, or launching your boat without replacing the drain plug. After such an event, you may say something like, “I am too stupid to live”, or “I am a complete idiot!” You must immediately cancel these thoughts by saying, “cancel, cancel”. Then, say something reassuring like, “even geniuses do dumb things once and awhile.” “I am not stupid.” “I just had a memory lapse.” Dwelling on your mistakes is a form of dysfunctional thinking, which can undermine self- confidence and hold you back. Here is an example: Having made a mistake at work, a person may believe, “I’m useless and can’t do anything right.” Believing this tends to make things worse. The individual reacts by avoiding activities and then behaviorally confirming the negative belief to himself. The negative belief becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure. You are what you think you are! Be careful what you think. Cancel those negative thoughts by saying, “cancel, cancel”! Keep on thinking and tune in next week for a new topic.

7 comments:

  1. I think it is more likely that the person in question would wonder who left the stupid door down and blame the spouse for leaving the drain unplugged. People rarely engage in rational self-appraisal. Instead, they look for someone or something else to blame for their own stupidity.
    I think it is useful for people to take responsibility for their actions. In this way, assuming they aren't simply terminally clueless, they can learn from their mistakes.
    I, for instance, only make the same mistake once. (The problem is that I've made them all once.)
    Tsar Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tsar has an interesting point of view with a ring of truth to it. Come to think of it, I always blame my wife for all my blunders. Isn't that what a wife is for? However, the Tsar's perspective is too cynical and therefore, I say,"CANCEL, CANCEL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Thinker:
    Cynical is just another way of saying "reality." I look at the world as it is, not as I would like it to be. Unfortunately, there is a big difference. However, elect me Emperor of the World, and I will CANCEL it.
    Piece of cake.
    Tsar Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bitterly or sneeringly distrustful, contemptuous, or pessimistic: Dictionary definition of cynical does not include "reality." Perhaps the world would be a better place for you if you would look at it as you would like it to be. You are the Emperor with no cloths on! No offense intended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Thinker, you are first to recognize my coronation as Emperor. Therefore, I hereby knight thee, my first subject, Sir Free of the Lance. Now no one will sneer at you.
    Tsar (Russian for emperor) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever retort from the Tsar! I am thrilled to be his Knight. I have always considered myself to be sneerless. When will the revolution begin? I am ready to defend the naked Russian Emperor. If you give people a title, they will do anything for you. Sir Free of the Lance is your loyal servant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If a title is thrilling, then having a long title must be even more wonderful. Therefore, as soon as find my clothing and sword, I will reknight thee Sir Free of the Lance by Sneerless.
    Tsar Pat

    ReplyDelete