Wednesday, May 27, 2009

EXCESSIVE USE OF SUPERLATIVES IS DESTROYING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!

The overuse of superlatives has made them meaningless. If everything is the greatest, then nothing is the greatest. Crying wolf when there is no wolf, means no one will believe you when there is a wolf. If you want to be taken seriously, keep your superlatives in check. Americans seem to exaggerate everything and it is devaluing our language. Everyone is not an amazing genius. New information is not necessarily incredible. A good restaurant meal is not fantastic. OK, the sex you had last night may have been phenomenal, but no one will know it if you call everything phenomenal. See what I mean? Say what you mean and mean what you say. Your words are more valuable when you reserve the most passionate ones to describe the things you are most passionate about. We can make ourselves more meaningful if we choose our words wisely. Most of the excessive language problem has been created by advertising (new and improved!) and political campaign propaganda (my opponent is a bastard but I am a Saint!) Don't believe propaganda and don't use the hyperbole of advertisers and politicians! I think this blog is the most awesome blog that was ever written! Certainly, it is the most extraordinary one that I have ever heard of!

2 comments:

  1. Well, that's the WORST blog I've ever read!!! Almost. However, you've made the BEST point, Hare. The unbelievable dilution of the English? language has driven me to the ULTIMATE frustration: Mumdom.
    Tsar Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good, the Tsar is back! I was hoping that you would make another scintillating comment. And you did! I have such a vast readership, I was afraid you might be intimidated. Actually, you are one of my few followers. Hope you stick with me.

    ReplyDelete